Friday, January 4, 2013

Absolute love is without judgment

For most of my adult life, I’ve wanted to help others come to Christ. Though, I’ve often been focused on changing what was wrong in others rather than living my life based on Christ’s teaching and loving others into following my ex­ample. As I write this last col­umn for 2012 and look forward to 2013, I’d like to discuss how I’ve been able to be more lov­ing and smile and pay attention to what’s right rather than what’s wrong.

Because the world is so wicked and most people in it flounder without direction, it’s tempting to justify not being as good as I can. After all, I’m living a much better life than a majority of those around me (or so I think).

The Bible says,“Woe unto them that turn aside the just for a thing of naught.” As I watch the news and listen to the pundits spinning, spinning, ever spinning, I realize that Satan has successfully blinded the eyes of so many, including me.

The books of Ephesians and Philippians talk about being swallowed up in service to God and shunning materialism. “Whose end is destruction (speaking of the enemies of Christ), whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.” (Philippians 3:19) All around me, I see those who “mind earthly things” and whose God is their belly. I can hardly bear to watch TV when the ads that come on are so far removed from what is good and full of light.

Tobacco products were banned from advertising dec­ades ago but beer and hard liquor show seductive, dark images cavorting in hedonistic pleasure or athletic men and gorgeous girls enjoying beer with good friends. The dangers of smoking pale against the agony inflicted by alcohol on families and communities. I can’t help but think about the two wedding receptions that erupted into mob violence from drunken rages — and weddings are supposed to be happy cele­brations!

I’m self-satisfied too much of the time. Because I don’t use anger to manipulate others, lie, steal, break my marriage vows or anything that seems to be associated with such “big” sins, I have a tendency to think I’m OK, that I’m on the right path and can be content.

I have to remember that Satan manipulates the truth for his own ends. And “thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.”

Sometimes, I’m guilty of seeking to counsel God, rather than to take counsel from Him. As I’ve learned to swallow my pride and know that I truly can trust Him, I’ve been strength­ened and lifted.

The last two verses of one of my favorite hymns, “Truth Reflects Upon the Senses,” turned on a huge light in my heart when I listened to how the author put into words the power of love and nonjudgmental behavior to change lives. “If I love my brother dearer / and his mote I would erase, / then the light should shine the clearer, / for the eye’s a tender place. / Others I have oft reproved / for an object like a mote; / now I wish this beam removed; / Oh, that tears would wash it out.

“Charity and love are healing; / these will give the clearest sight; / when I saw my brother’s failing, I was not exactly right. / Now I’ll take no further trouble; / Jesus love is all my theme; / little motes are but a bubble / when I think upon the beam.”

I must cease relying on my own intelligence. I must “look up and take his hand” and he will lead me to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment