Friday, February 20, 2015

“Beat the Christmas Holiday Blues”
"On a pristinely clear and beautifully bright day, I (overlooked) the Sea of Galilee and reread Luke 10:41-42.  My mind and heart heard these words: ‘[Pat, Pat, Pat], thou art careful and troubled about many things. ... But one thing [only one thing] is [truly] needful ... keep your eyes toward the sun, my Son.’ 
Suddenly I had true peace. ... The sea lying peacefully before my eyes had been tempest-tossed and dangerous, many, many times. All I needed to do was to renew my faith, and get a firm grasp on His hand, and together we could walk on the water.” (Patricia T. Holland, LDS speaker and writer)     
I first read these words a few years ago when (as usual) I was trying to do too many things as Christmas drew near. I was making 25 blankets to “hug” far away grandchildren, baking cinnamon wreaths I hadn’t been able to manage the year before, and preparing to host 20 members of my family the week between Christmas and New Years. 
I was frazzled and overwhelmed; I’d lost the essence of what the season was all about. I took a deep breath and realized that I was where I’d been a couple of decades before--spending too much money and indulging my kids too much.
We had a huge family, a huge house, and were very prosperous. My husband and I were in leadership positions for our church and all the kids attended without complaint. But I began to worry about their circle of friends who were the rich kids with too much time and too much money.
A conversation with one of my sons was a real wake up call for me. When this particular son asked for the upteenth time to go to his friend's house for a party, I said, "Why don't you invite the group over here (we had a pool, a huge yard, etc.)?”
He answered, "Oh, they don't want to come here because you guys don't allow beer."
While I was pretty sure my kids weren't drinking beer (I have a very sensitive nose and I always made them kiss me good night when they came home ), I was stunned by the comment. And I wondered just what we could do to change things.
Gary and I fasted and prayed and Heavenly Father answered our prayers by taking all the money away, period. Gary was laid off from his six figure job.
For the next 20 years, we finished raising our children without a reliable income. We were on church welfare at times, but our children learned powerful lessons about what really matters when they couldn't have everything (or even very much of what) they wanted.
There were some Christmases during those years that the only Christmas presents our kids received were such things as underwear, mittens, and coats bought on sale or from second hand stores. We all became quite creative in making gifts such as "service coupons" for each other.
I learned to just relax and reach out to my friends and family, to tell them how much I loved them as I gave them fresh baked cookies or bread (even on Church welfare, I could manage those kinds of gifts).
Most of all I learned to focus on why I celebrated Christmas–to grasp my Savior’s hand and put aside the frivolous and mundane. I hope the same for you during this wonderful season of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment