Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Reduce Your Nag Level with The Point System

I've talked about the three versions of my Point System which are addressed to preschool, school age, and teenage children. I want to convince some of you to sign up as “test drivers” to try out my ideas on a larger scale than my close friends and family.  I need volunteers to conduct research for my next book, The Point System–Raising Kids Without Losing Your Mind.  This week I’d like top pull things together summarize what you need to do to be successful.
SUMMARY for Test Drivers:
(1) Have a family night to discuss the System and how you are going to implement it.  Let the kids give you input on what they like to do and what they don’t like to do. But don’t give them veto power–you are the authority.
(2) Stress that the purposes of the System are to improve the spirit in your home and teach your children how to be productive, happy adults.  ALSO STRESS THAT YOU, AS THE ADULT HAVE THE FINAL SAY IN AWARDING POINTS.
(3) Change the charts to reflect your family’s preferences.
(4) Post the charts on the refrigerator or other central place where your kids can see them.
(5) Put up check lists where you want your kids to learn a particular activity; i.e. in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, over the washing machine, etc.
(6) Set a specific time for going over the points.  Just before lunch and bedtime are appropriate for preschool kids.  Right after they get home from school and before bedtime are good for kids in school.  Once a day at bedtime works OK for most teens, although some may need more frequent reinforcement–especially if you are trying to change negative behavior.
(7) Post points regularly and tie them to rewards.  Remember, if it’s not worth earning points (i.e. you extend privileges when your kids haven’t earned “satisfactory” level points) then this system is just a bunch of numbers and will not work for you.
If you think you’d like to be part of the research team and test drive The Point System, e-mail me at heavenhelpusbeourbest@gmail.com or send a letter to me at 730 S. Cove Dr. STE B, Cedar City, UT 84720.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment